The institute of vascular and endovascular surgery at Ramaiah Memorial Hospital provides top of the linevascular and endovascular & advanced woundcare. We have a tradition of excellence in clinical care, innovative methods of evaluation and treatment of Arterial, venous & diabetic footdiseases. It is the one of the first clinics in Bangalore for the management of vascular diseases.
Our team provides comprehensive, state-of-the-art, diagnostic and therapeutic interventions for the entire spectrum of circulatory disorders, from medical management to minimally invasive endovascular therapy to conventional open surgery.
Our team of surgical interventionists has some of the most extensive vascular and endovascular surgical experience of hospitals nationwide.
Multidisciplinary Collaborative Care
The Vascular Surgery Team collaborates with concerned other specialties in order to offer each patient a multidisciplinary, yet individualized, diagnostic assessment and therapeutic plan.
We are equipped with state of the art, non invasive diagnostic facilities for both vascular disease & diabetic foot disorders like PVR, ABI, Podia Scan, Tcpo2 evaluation, Pedography & Neuropathic assessment. Also customized foot wears with offloading facilities available.
We offer the full spectrum of diagnostic and interventional procedures, including non invasive vascular laboratory testing, advanced wound care facilities, and the latest minimally invasive therapies.
Advancing in the Field of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
At Ramaiah we are equipped with an advanced learning centre, where in we conduct innovative laboratory and clinical research, aimed to improve patient care& treatment outcomes. Also upgrading our the skills in the lab & actively involved in enhancing skills junior colleagues other institute.Our surgeons also serve in leadership positions at relevant medical societies, speak at national and international conferences, publish frequently, and teach courses on vascular and endovascular surgery.
“Our motto is to Optimize& Maintain patient’s circulatory health”
- State of the art –RAMAIAHInstitute of Vascular Sciences & Wound Care Centre
- Pioneer in newer advances of limb salvage through minimally invasive surgery with Atherectomy and stem cell treatment for non-re constructible vascular disease
- Diabetic foot screening with podia scan, evaluation for neuropathy & foot wear services
- Peripheral arterial disease - treated with medical, endovascular & open bypass surgeries
- Varicose veins and venous ulcers treated with laser, radiofrequency ablation, open surgery & venous stenting
- Aneurysms - open & EVAR
- Vascular screening services
- Hemodialysis access ( Arteriovenous fistula, Arteriovenous Grafts ) and salvage procedures through angioplasties
- Provide training and Fellowship programmes on Advanced Wound Care Management for Doctors and Nurses
Patient information for the vascular diseases
- Bulging or spider veins due to damaged valves within veins.
- Usual symptoms include dull aching pain and swelling of legs which increases by evening, with colour changes in the leg.
- Risk factors include obesity, long standing work, lack of movement, pregnancy family history
- Can lead to chronic leg ulcers, bleeding, pain, & blood clots in the veins
- Diagnosis is by clinical examination and Ultrasound Doppler
- Treatment options available in addition to lifestyle changes include oral medications, compression stockings, laser ablation, radio frequency ablation, open varicose vein surgery, sclerotherapy
- Our team of experts will discuss the plan of treatment accordingly and provide you with the best treatment
Deep Vein thrombosis (DVT)
- DVT is Blood clots in the deep veins of the legs.Can also develop in the arms. Symptoms include sudden onset swelling & pain.
- Risk factors include lack of movement, long travel history, major surgeries, bedridden patients, cancer, pregnancy, hormone therapy & tobacco use.
- If not treated these clots can dislodge and travel to lungs causing pulmonary embolism which can be life threatening.
- Diagnosis is by Duplex Ultrasound
- Treatment is by blood thinning medications / endovascular thrombolysis.
Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Most commonly affects legs. Symptoms include pain on walking for a short distance, non healing severely painful leg and foot ulcers, gangrene of toes or fingers.
- Risk factors include Smoking, Diabetes, Old age, High BP, High blood cholesterol, Kidney problems
- Diagnosis is by physical examination, vascular lab testing like ABI, Duplex USG, CT / MR Angiography or conventional angiography
- Treatment options are medical management, Endovascular or open procedures including Balloon angioplasty, stenting, endovascular atherectomy, open bypass procedures like aorto-bifemoral bypass, fem-pop bypass, fem- distal bypass, which depends on disease type & level.
- Abnormal dilatation of blood vessels in body
- Commonly seen in abdominal aorta (AAA) and peripheral arteries
- Symptoms may vary from swollen, pulsatile swelling in the abdomen or affected arteries with sudden onset of severe pain, colour changes & coldness of limbs with decrease or absent movements.
- Evaluation by duplex ultrasound & or CT/MR angiograms
- Managed by endovascular or open procedures including EVAR, Endovascular stent graft, open repair/ bypass procedures
Carotid Artery disease
- Carotid arteries found in the neck carry blood to the brain.
- Narrowing Carotid artery, due to atherosclerosis, smoking & Diabetes, can lead to decreased blood flow to brain which can result in stroke.
- Condition is diagnosed by carotid Duplex ultrasound, CT / MR Angiogram
- Treatment is by Carotid Endarterectomy / Stenting
- With the rise in patients suffering from kidney diseases on Hemodialysis , securing an access for hemodialysis is paramount. Procedures such as AV fistula creation, AV graft insertion, Perm cath insertion are routinely done here.
- Salvage procedures like Thrombectomy, access angioplasty, USG Guided angioplasty, central vein angioplasty/stenting are also performed in our institute.
Diabetic foot disorders
- Presentation can be from simple neuropathy (numb or insensate foot with burning sensation) to deformed foot with non healing ulcers.
- Early evaluation & prevention is of utmost important because 10-15% of diabetic patients develop ulcers & 40-60% of leg amputations are due to Diabetes.
- Clinical evaluation with non invasive diagnostic tests like ABI, Neuropathy check up & Duplex Ultrasound on regular basis can prevent 85% of amputations, if proper & effective preventive care is adopted.
- Recognition & early consultation in foot infections can prevent progression of infection & limb salvage.
Advanced Wound Care Centre
Advanced Wound Care centre is equipped with state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment for early detection of Diabetic Neuropathy, Lower Extremity blood circulation, and has a multi disciplinary foot care team to deliver comprehensive foot care.
Plantar Pressure Platform Pedography System
Pedography helps in diagnosis of the foot function.It is used for early recognition of altered pressure patterns in individuals with diabetes and associated diseases.
ABI (Ankle brachial Index)
The ankle-brachial index test is done to check for PAD — narrowed arteries that reduce blood flow, usually in your legs. Research indicates that PAD affects about 10 percent of people over age 55.
Transcutaneous Oxygen, TCPO2
The TCPO2 monitoring tool provides specific information relative to leg ischemia, screening of vascular disease & assessing the success of revascularization at the site of incision.
In diabetes mellitus, diabetic neuropathy/Poly neuropathy is a major complication and should be diagnosed at the earliest to prevent foot damages. By detecting the level of neuropathy early, the management of complication with lower extremities becomes easy.
Diabetic Foot Wear Services
Therapeutic footwear has been used for decades as one of main strategies to prevent recurrent ulcers in patients with diabetes and foot risk factors. It is an assistive technology capable of reducing peak plantar pressures in elderly patients with neuropathy.
Foot Care & Nail Care
A complete Foot assessment and counselling is provided by a Foot Health Practioner.
The foot & Nail care service includes,
- Medical Pedicure
- In grown toe nail correction
- Corn/Callus removal
Make an Appointment